Wednesday, April 21, 2010

First Trail Ride with Apollo

I finally got a chance to take Apollo out on the trails in between rainy days. Amber rode Angel and insisted on riding the gas line, on the side that accesses the road, the MOST difficult riding on our property. I wanted to use the bitless bridle because none of our bits are quite big enough for him but wasn't sure it would fit. A few adjustments later, and I discovered it would fit, so decided to be brave and go for it. I worked with him a bit to see if he understood how it worked, but Amber was getting impatient and declaring she wasn't going to go if I spent any more time fooling around, so off we went. I did ride up and down the driveway by the pasture to make sure I had steering and brakes. Then off to the the back 40 we went. Apollo went everywhere I asked with no fuss! He jumped the water filled ditches, or slogged through the parts that were too wide to jump. There's 4 ditches to get to the road, so its great for building up the horses, going up and down the banks. We let the horses graze when we got to the road, then headed back. Apollo was a little stronger on the way back, cantering up the banks, but stopping when I asked. It was great fun! We then walked up the road and went on the new trailhead and walked the loop. There's some boggy, wet places there too, but no problem! He walked out and walked back, no different heading home than heading out. I love this horse! And he's very cute to boot, don't you think?!

No comments: