Saturday, March 29, 2008

Holy Shot!

On Wednesday I had the vet come out and give the first Rhino shot to the 4 girls as I didn't have it done last year and they will need a booster. I also had him check Angel's stifles and he couldn't see/feel anything wrong with them. She was running, rearing and hopping around last night like a wild woman, so things must feel pretty good!

Molly has reacted to vaccinations before. The thing is, sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. The first year I had her and gave her rabies, it was over a WEEK before she could raise and lower her head normally, she was miserable.

So she gets her shot around noon on Wednesday. She's looking ok when I go to bed, a little sluggish in the morning before I go to volunteer at the Food Pantry. When I get back just after noon, I find my scanner has arrived back home and my horse is one hurting unit. She can't lower her head enough to eat off the ground and is shuffling sideways. I scanned her and the horse that only had 4 points to treat last time, lights up, especially around the liver, kidneys and colon. Now, I thought her liver was back by her stomach area, so I couldn't figure out how come she had points lighting up about a third of the way between elbow and flank making a vertical line. Now I know thats where her liver really is! But I'm not supposed to ask why, just mark and treat! I did a treatment in the afternoon, and she looked a little perkier after. I treated her again in the evening, and the sparkle was definately coming back into her eye. I had given her Banamine too.

Friday morning she was moving better and could lower her head without too much trouble. I called to check on her at noon and Alan said she looked good, was moving around and had walked right up back no problem. When I got home, she was looking sooo much better. Last night she was back to chasing the two Arabs and this morning she's back to 95%! I've NEVER had her recover that quickly. Usually a mild reaction takes at least 4 days before she's looking any better and its been more than a week on medication for reactions this bad.

I'm so happy, I hate seeing her in such a state, and she only needed one dose of meds. I hate giving shots anyway, now I know the Rhino affects her so badly, I'll dose her before the next one and scan and treat the same day. I'm going to scan her again today and see what shows up. I need to order a different color crayon so I can tell which spots are the new ones!

I REALLY need a camera. I wish I could've taken video of how she was acting before and after each treatment. I'm bidding on some on E-Bay, wish me luck!!

No comments: