Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Feeding on the Hill

I've noticed since I started bringing the horses up the wooded hillside to eat lunch and supper that they don't stay up here and eat til everything is gone like they do when I feed in the paddock. They will come trotting or cantering up and walk around to the many different little piles of hay I spread, tasting each one, chasing each other off, coming back together to share a pile. Then at least twice, they will travel down the hill to the paddock area and get a drink, check things out, take a nap sometimes and then head back up to finish the hay. If I throw hay piles in the paddock, they stay right there wolf it down and then stand around like bumps on a log. Hmmmm, I can't wait to try the track system of pasturing when I get down to Pittston!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have already created one! Isn't fun to study them like that?

Pam said...

I love having more room for them to move and having to negotiate all the obsticles makes them more fit than a flat grass filled field!