Friday, March 26, 2010

What We Left Behind, Or Tried To!

At our house in Vassalboro, we kept the trash can under the sink. This was a small, short space, and we had a lot of trouble finding a trash can that would fit there. I finally found one at Marden's and bought 5 or 6 of them, they were only a dollar or two a piece. Well, over the years they would get cracked and broken and we would use the next one. Unfortunately, we ran out of new cans and I never could find another one that fit that space, so we used the trusty Maine solution to most things, Duct Tape. The new spiffy colors weren't available yet, or it would've looked cooler than this! Now the bucket was usually hidden from sight, but sometimes people would see it and ask how we were doing financially seeing as how we couldn't afford a new trash can! I would explain the situation and add another layer of tape as needed. Needless to say, that trash can was something I WAS NOT planning to bring with me. I tend to use things til I can't, still have the same clothes iron, mixer and Tupperware I got 30 years ago when we got married! I was pretty spare with furnishings and decore, as I'm not fond of dusting, and much of it was hand-me down from relatives. With 6 kids in the house, all my favorite things would get broken anyway, so whatever I could get to use for free or cheap seemed like the best way to go. But now that we were building a new place, I had very little that I wanted to take with me, its finally time for new stuff! So imagine my dismay when I start sorting through the things we packed and piled, finding things that I had wanted to keep ruined by rain or improper handling and realizing this damn trash can had followed me intact! Needless to say, I bought a new can for the camper and this one is now in the trash instead of containing it!

No comments: