Monday, November 10, 2008

Update on FlyAway

She has had a rough transition to our farm, but has stayed steady and upbeat during most of it. Funnily enough, through all of the physical issues, she stayed quite bright eyed and involved, but since feeling better and not having anything done with her, has gotten more and more withdrawn.

She, of course, came with feet issues that are getting resolved with each trim. I will have to post pictures of the progress we've made, she no longer looks like she's walking in a high heel and sneaker, but does still have a slight hitch in front.

A few weeks after coming here, she got trapped in a stall and kicked through the wall, and ended up with a hematoma on the left stifle and an abscess in her right hind foot. I used the red light therapy on all the injuries and the abscess, which got better enough that she could put weight on the foot, but didn't break through. So I stopped treatment and it flared up again and did breakout in the heel bulbs. I resumed treatment and the infection cleared right up. The vet had said the hematoma may take many months to clear up because it was a firm lump filled with serum, but it was gone in about 8 weeks. Fly was easy to work with when soaking (love the hoof soaking boots!) and treating the injuries.

I was convinced my mare Molly was the one who kicked her, and she may have been that time. I made the decision to take our leased mare, Riverdance, back home, and Molly became herd leader. I noticed her standing with Fly a lot, even sharing a run in with her, but I would still find kick or bite marks on Fly. I decided to keep them separated and put Molly in a stall while I went shopping one day. When I came back, I discovered that Fly had been attacked and kicked even worse than before, and realized it was Angel who was the culprit. I was so upset, Molly had probably been protecting Fly. This time Fly abscessed on the right front while recovering and I just used the light therapy after the abscess broke and on her kick injuries. So all run-ins and stalls are closed off during the day and Fly stays in a stall at night and we've had no further incidents. I think she's finally learned to stay clear of Angel too. She has recovered from the injuries and abscesses and gained weight and muscle and is looking like a "real" horse now.


No comments: