Friday, July 24, 2009

Hey Dan-ell



When I was pregnant with my second son, we agreed we'd take turns naming the children. I got to go first with Ryan, so it was Alan's turn. He loved the name Daniel, but never said it "Dan-yell", he always left out the "y" so it sounded like "Dan-ell", or how the old-times say Dan-ell Boone. I told him if he couldn't pronounce it correctly he'd have to pick something else, so Darren it was.



In the post "They always know" Leigh made a comment about the other "boys" in the family loading themselves on the trailer to not get left behind. She had no idea how prophetic her comment was!



The first night on the land in the camper was not spent by Alan nor I, oh no, Darren spent the night before moving down there, communing with nature, looking at Mars, swatting mosquitos and having a grand old time. Woke up to a glorius dawn, whole nine yards.



So after the swirling hurricane that the actual move evolved into, all of us and our stuff was plopped onto the land helter skelter, no reason nor rhyme. I'm running around trying to get any type of organization going and need some help. I yell to Alan, "where's Darren?" and hear back "he's out practicing throwing knives!" "WHATTT? What's he doing that for, I mean, he's really throwing knives?!" Yep, and making squirrel friends, leaving them raspberries for a snack, and digging a poop pit, in his freaking glory. Come to find out, he's "always" wanted to live on the land like this, maybe we should have stuck with Dan-ell after all. SIGH!
The target Darren used for throwing knives.

No comments: