Friday, July 24, 2009

Life in the Camper

Right now we have a generator and an extension cord, so can only run one electrical appliance at a time. Its Alan's first day back at work and my first day alone on the land. The guys wake me up as they get up to go to work, so I decided to head down and visit the horses. They are being eaten alive by mosquitos! Poor thin-skinned Arab Angel is just quivering all over and her neck line is covered with feasting insects. Molly's cheeks are covered and I'm sweeping the darn things off by the hundreds. Maya and Fly had been sprayed the day before with Zonk It to protect from horse flies while we moved and they were alone, so they weren't affected as badly. I had a little of the spray left and dumped it on a rag and wiped down Angel & Molly. That helped a lot. When I went back to feed, they were lined up at the gate looking at me like "Can we go home now?"! I felt so bad.



I decided to make the pasture bigger and started putting in the step in posts. I love those things! By 6:00 am, I had the bottom strand all up and let them into the new area, then went to have breakfast.



Before Alan left, he said if I wanted to use any other electrical appliances, just unplug the refridgerator and plug the other appliance into the extension cord. Sounded easy enough. Except he had tied the cords in a loop so the refridgerator cord wouldn't come undone and slide down behind the back again, but in doing so, made the cord so short, it wouldn't make it up to the top close enough for me to get. So I had to wrestle the big old refridgerator out of the tight space its in, and don't mind saying I was not using good language while doing it! I finally am able to get the cord and manage to start untieing them when I realized I needed to make sure the cord didn't slip back behind the refridge again. So I found a string and tied it to the cord and then to the rail on the cupboard to keep it in place, got the cords untied finally and by 7:00 am was plugging in the microwave to heat my water for tea! I put up a pasture faster than unplugging the damn refridgerator!



Went back down to finish the pasture and the horses looked much happier. They've been munching on all the saplings and plants growing there and tripping over all the rocks and stumps.



I decided to go empty the pot we're using at night in the pit Darren dug. We used to have a chamber pot in the first house my parent's had. My Dad would empty it every morning by dumping it in the row of grape vines we had growing beside the house. Those were the biggest vines and had the best grapes I've ever tasted. We have pictures of us kids sitting under the vines with our laps piled with bunches of grapes, blissfully munching away! Anyhow, after dumping the "chamber pot" that's really a bucket, I start rinsing it out with the hose and notice the writing on the front - Miricid, made by Miracle Grow, incredible plant fertilizer for all your plants!

No comments: