Monday, June 9, 2008

First Days

Its been crazy around here, but I have been able to spend some time with the new girl. She decided she loved her fly mask the very first night. I noticed her bobbing her head a lot, so went and got an extra mask. She had never had one on whenever I went to visit her, so I didn't know how she'd do with it. She loves having her ears rubbed and scratched, and had no problem with me putting on the mask. Later on, I wanted to take a picture of her sweet face, so took the mask off. She didn't like that idea and followed me all over bobbing her head until I put it back on. Never did get the picture!

She loves to be scratched all over, especially her neck. She's supposed to be just 16 h, but man, is she tall! The first day, she bonded with our little Arab who is bottom of the pecking order. So now I have two herds, River, Molly and Angel then Maya and Fly Away. Maya acts like Fly is her long lost foal, they get really upset if they get seperated. Fly just minds her own business and besides some squealing and a few stomps, the introductions have gone well. Molly and Angel will chase her, but she knows enough to get out of the way. I kept her and Maya on the bottom pasture the first night and then put Fly in the stall the second. I knew Maya would stay with her outside under the overhang. Fly's skinny, so needs more food at night.

The second full day was good. They're all getting along quite well, still two herds, but that's okay. I'm glad Maya has a friend. I had some time and played around with her in the round pen. She leads wonderfully, learned quickly to stop an arm's length away, and keeps a float in the rope. She backs easily. She was concerned about being away from Maya, although she was just outside of the pen. I picked up the flag and rubbed it all over her. She didn't care about that at all. She wasn't checked out though. I directed her to go clockwise, she had a hard time going past the gate away from Maya. After a few tries, I got her to go all the way round. I was just asking her to follow me and she did quite well, no running around in panic. I actually had to get quite active with the flag to get her moving sometimes. After getting her to walk/trot a full circle both ways, I stopped and she came right into me and followed me all around. She was a little gimpy, but not as bad as the first time I saw her. Worse than when she first got here though. I hope to get some video tomorrow, and maybe get her scanned and treated. I'm really liking this horse and hope I can help her. She is just a love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. I'm surprised and lost. I thought that Fly away was going to a new home with this other person but she seems to be at your home! This person who fell in love with her is going to lease her from you?

Pam said...

Yes, Fly Away is at my house. Christine doesn't have her place set up for a horse yet and I want to make sure that she can manage it financially. I don't want to go through the same thing I did with the other person I helped out. We are doing a half lease right now.