Sunday, June 15, 2008

Molly By Golly



Or fat bottomed girl, those are my two nicknames for Molly, aka Impressionable Milly, registered QH mare, former Hemphill's camp horse and one I brought home for the girls and got stuck with as my main ride! This girl has given me 90% of my horsey education, from bringing a starved, pregnant mare back to health, to wrapping bowed tendons, treating mastitis, hoof trimming, boot fitting, metabolic issues, allergic reactions, choke, vaccine reactions, chiropractic work and DNA testing for HYPP. There's probably a few adventures in there I've forgotten about too. She's the horse I had scanned when Dan Sumerel came and she had enough issues for me to see a difference in her that led me to really get serious about the red light therapy. She continues to improve health-wise as we scan and treat her. I've never had a full season of riding with her, something always comes up, but so far this year she's been fine. I've been riding her in the round pen at the walk and trot, and we've made some good progress. She enjoyed trail rides when she was feeling good, so I'm hoping to get back to that with her too. I've decided that she's a horse that cannot have grass, she got really cresty very quickly this year and even eating with the muzzle allows for too much grass. She's been okay with having a flake of hay within sight of the other horses grazing. With her funny personality and bold attitude, she keeps life interesting around here. She's the first horse I've had that lifts her hind leg so you can better reach to scratch her udders, and will show you exactly where she'd like to be scratched. She is a bit of a bully to the other horses, but sometimes that comes in handy! It allows River to be a benign leader when Molly keeps the rest in line. For such a chunky monkey, she can be quite athletic when the mood strikes her, and I see her instigating play more often than any of the others. She was an awesome mom too, and let anyone in with her to admire the baby. She's been easy going for most anything we've had to do, vet, teeth and stall rest with hand walking. I so hope we get to experience a riding relationship too!

No comments: